Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: I need some advice regarding Premiere

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.
    I can't tell you how to do this in Premier, but I'll offer up my personal experiences, and if it helps, great.

    I used Premier to edit my feature, and found it lacking for anything regarding effects.
    So I used it really just for cuts only editing, and to assemble everything.
    I did one slow-mo scene, and I used Adobe AfterFX for that, and it worked great.
    Really smooth. I know you don't want to hear that you have to get another program, but that was my experience, but I've heard others say all sorts of great things about the FX inside Premier, so either they're not as picky as I am, or they know some tricks that I didn't stumble on to.

    Matt Pacini

  2. #2
    Inactive Member digvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2001
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jamie -

    Could you tell me what commands in Premiere you use to perform the speed change? I have an idea about what is happening to your footage, but I need to know how you did the speed change. Are you using the standard "speed change" command on the clip?

    Also, could you please tell me how you transferred your super8 film to video? Also, could you very carefully look through each frame on your timeline (before you perform the speed change) and see if there are already occasional frames that appear "ghostly."

    - Jeff Dodson

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 07, 2002 11:30 AM: Message edited by: digvid ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would like to know how you transfer it to video. It would be nicer if you own a multi-plexer that cost approx 2,000 dollars and be sure you have a fancy projector such as sanya projector that cost abut 250 dollars without to have piece of hair in it so use it to transfer to your mini 3ccd dv tape and here you go transfer to casablanca and use it for slow motions since I used final cut pro 3verison and premiere 6.0 the slow motions real not too impressive like you want to have it looked without blurr or a ghost look just a pure solid which best to use casablanca to have it slow motions then transfer to premiere for more edit and etc,... How does it sound? Jerome

  4. #4
    Inactive Member r.j.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Hi, This is a pretty long question, but here goes:
    I am about to start editing a super 8 film that I have been working on for a year and a half. My plan is to transfer it to mini dv and then edit on premiere. I did a preliminary test of my system with some super 8 footage that I had transfered to mini dv, and everything seems to work. I can dump everything in, I can edit, I can export. BUT...
    Premire does not seem to be able to slow footage down (slow motion) without making it look really bad. It sort of creates this ghost frame in between every existing frame that makes everything look quite digital. Yes, even with the anti-alias thing-a-majigger enabled. It just doesnt look right. My girlfriend edited one of her films on a "casablanca" editing system, and she had no trouble whatsoever slowing her footage down. There was no ghosting, and every frame remained solid. Is there something I can do to make premiere work better and give me an acceptable slow motion?
    If not, this forces me to try to transfer all my super 8 footage to mini dv myself at home, instead of having it proffesionaly done. That way, at least I can slow the projecter down when I want slow-motion. I know a lot of the basics of transferring stuff but still have a few worries. I know that I need a mini dv camera that can shoot at 60th or below to reduce flicker, but I'm not sure what the differences are in quality of image from camera to camera. Is there a really stand out mini dv camera out there for transferring? I want to get the sharpest possible transfer i can get. It's black and white footage so the color doesn't matter that much, just sharpness.
    So, I guess that was two questions. Hopefully somebody out there is reading this and will reply. I have been working on this forever and am really losing my mind trying to get it finished, there always seems to be another problem around the corner. I'm sure most film-makers on this site know what I'm talking about.
    Anyway, thanks to anyone who can give me some advice,
    Jamie T.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member r.j.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dont understand. Since i posted this question, 49 people have viewed a message that got posted after mine, but not one person has viewed mine. What did I do wrong?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member r.j.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks for responding you guys,
    I'll try to answer everybodys questions in turn. Here goes:
    Matt: Yeah, I would rather not get another program, but if that's what it comes down to then I guess I'll look into After FX. Thanks for the tip.
    Jeff: I performed the speed change in Premiere by clicking on the end of the clip and dragging it out to a longer length. I had my super 8 footage transferred professionaly using a telecine machine. No, there are no ghost frames before the time change.
    Jerome: Sounds good except that I could never afford a multiplexer in a million years and I don't have access to a casablanca. (My girlfriend had access because she was going to school, but she's graduated now so thats not an option.)
    So, there you go. Any follow ups would, again, be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everybody!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How does it sound? Was that English?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member digvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2001
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jamie -

    Just the fact that you had the film transferred with a telecine machine means that there should in fact be "ghosted" frames in your source footage, even before the speed change. Almost every type of professional telecine machine will produce intermediate frames that are a blend of two original frames. These blended frames will look blurry or jagged when viewed on the computer monitor, but correct when viewed on TV. However, if you do a speed change in Premiere without first removing these jagged frames, it may occasionally double them, which could look strange when played back on a TV.

    It sounds almost like what you need to do is transfer the MiniDV footage to your hard drive, run some sort of process (inverse-telecine) to remove the telecined frames, then do all your editing on the resulting original frames. When you are ready to output this back to video, you can do a frame rate conversion or speed change to convert back to video frame rates.

    When you examined the frames on the timeline, did you have the resolution set to 1 frame? If you have it set to anything else, there could be telecined frames in your original that you are overlooking.

    You'll have to forgive me if I am on the wrong track, but this is the only thing I can think of that would cause your problem.

    - digvid

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 07, 2002 03:06 PM: Message edited by: digvid ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Paul, Wanna know about my english that i never too good at english area because I am deaf and dumb so am i excuse? eh,...

    Fx is one that i would go into for speed thing.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member StopMoWorks's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2001
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    Perhaps I am not worthy to make comment here [img]wink.gif[/img] , as others are much more experienced with NLE programs. I gots Premiere and learning the ropes ....as a beginner, does not seem to be the most user friendly (many features/options) and a little bit of a learning curve there.

    I always hear, AfterEffects is what people recommend, but also, it's the AE "production bundle" that is the one of choice, which is about $1500.? I got Premiere for almost nothing, bundled with DV capture card, then I bought heavily discounted Photoshop. Premiere + Photoshop = kind of a good editing/special FX package (via Adobe's unique "filmstrip"). I am guessing, that AE's special FX features are a bit more automated or quicker? Of course, this does not answer Tolagson's, question but maybe I'm just saying it's not a Premiere issue and you maybe don't need to $splurge$ on another new program.
    LIO

    P.S. You must know by now about MovieStuff's film transfer service to DV? Each frame is discrete .... no double/shared images!

    LIO

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 07, 2002 08:55 PM: Message edited by: StopMoWorks ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •